Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Random thoughts about grass and vanity....

I can't believe how the time passes so quickly. If I blink, I will miss something huge, something important. Am I cherishing every moment?

Life is like laundry... you can never catch up, there is always another load to wash; there is always that basket of socks that need to be matched, and you just have to keep going.

Isaiah 40:

3 A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. 4 Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. 5 And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken." 6 A voice says, "Cry out." And I said, "What shall I cry?" "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. 7 The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass. 8 The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."


All I can do and become is nothing compared to the glory of the Lord. Some days I feel a lot more grassy than others... like all that I've done in functioning day after day, is just grass that will fade and get cut with the lawnmower, bagged and taken to the dump. Only those things that I do for the Lord, of eternal value, are the things that will remain, my treasure to be stored up in heaven.

Ecclesiastes 2:

11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done And on the labor in which I had toiled; And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.


All this can seem a little bit depressing. But I press toward the prize, the high calling... How does it go?

Philippians 3:

8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.


I feel my spirit uplifted in this. Yep. That's what it is all about. I become more like Christ, I become hidden in Him. I lose myself in the pursuit of God and my life become far more meaningful, completely complete.

For now I'll let my toes be ticked in the cool, green grass. And I'll look up to the Son, the One whom I long to be closer to. My source, my inspiration, my joy. Mow on, heavenly lawnmower... prune me, take away the chaff, the vanity and empty parts of my life that lack meaning.

I'm so grateful that He loves me. I'm so glad that He thinks I'm worth it. I sure hope to make Him proud.

No comments: