Monday, September 26, 2011

...you don't know what you got till it's gone...

I've lost my Bible.

It's not that I don't have other ones - I even carry the Word on my phone, and it's just a click of the mouse away on the computer - but I've lost MY Bible.  The one that is written on, highlighted and marked; with pages bent and many of them tattered and torn by busy little people's hands.  This is the book that I've dropped my precious tears onto... found clarity, peace, hope, light when no one else could speak to my pain.

I haven't read it as much as I should.  I haven't drank in the words - God's poetry - nearly as often as I should.  I already miss the caress of the love-story, written with me in mind.  I miss the fatherly, heart-felt discipline that it spoke to me whenever I was floundering.

How often to we overlook the precious?  How often do we miss the treasure, sitting right in front of our eyes?

I'm sobered with the reality of that which I have taken for granted.  Blessings are the things which we acknowledge gratefully - our eyes wide open with clear vision; not clouded by the mundane.  Whether it is our children, family, homes, the sunshine and the trees - or, a favorite book - count each blessing!

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone 
-Joni Mitchell

No comments: