Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Worms, Ice Cream, Sleeping In... It's Summer!

For probably four days in a row, I've sat down and typed a few paragraphs only to find that my thoughts were incomplete and I didn't have the heart to finish a blog posting.  It may have something to do with the warm embrace of summer that calls for me to slow down, take it easy and throw the restraints of schedules and obligations out the window.  Of course, it might also have something to do with the fact that I seem to cycle through emotions like a beach toy floating on the open sea - waves toss me up then down and occasionally I feel myself paddling frantically for some sense of solid, secure grounding.  Those are thoughts for another day, however.

Summer is a time for homemade ice cream, digging for worms and drinking lemonade on the new deck (that my awesome husband built for me)!

Summer is a time for sleeping in after long days playing in the sun.

Summer means eating lots of fresh fruit and having picnics in the backyard.

Summer is a time for my naked baby to waddle around and splash excitedly in the kiddie pool, in our backyard. 

Hot, humid summer nights are perfect for watching the dark night sky light up with streaks of white that come in rapid succession and make you feel like the paparazzi is outside your window!

Summer is a time for answering machines that say:
"I'm sorry, but I'm having far too much fun relaxing and resting to answer the phone right now.  Please leave a message after the beep, and I might get back to you... on a rainy day... or when the season changes..."

Although I do have some deep thoughts rolling around in my head these days, I have a feeling they won't be posted today.  Instead, I'll dwell on the light, airy, happy summer thoughts... all which happen to be thankful thoughts:

I'm thankful for kids who tenderly care for each other, as a tiny hand holds onto one that is even tiny-er... and they explore the beautiful world together with wonder...

I'm especially thankful for how my children teach me JOY.  The world is wonderful and unspoiled to them, and they appreciate simple things.  Every moment is made to be savoured.  I could do well to learn from their prompt inclination to humor and delight.
I'm thankful for clean water....  As I prepare to go on a mission trip later this year to India, specifically to visit children who live in slums, I can't help but feel gratitude for the bounty we experience here in North America.  My kids play freely with water from the hose, spilling it on the ground - and others die for lack of clean drinking water.  I don't mean to put a damper on this cheery, thankful post, yet I must acknowledge the marvelous blessing of health, food, water, safety, a home and a happy, loving family.
This brings me to my last grateful thought. I'm thankful for beauty...  I am the proud parent of 3 beautiful girls, although one of my girls is well on her way to being a young lady.  And I think she's gorgeous.  The best part is that she is beautiful both inside and out.  She's generous, polite, caring and considerate to those around her.  Did I mention how beautiful she is?  Thank goodness Daddy has his Firearms license and can own a gun!  Ha ha!

It's a good time to be thankful.  If anything, we can be grateful that we're not shoveling a foot of snow off of the sidewalk... Well, just wait another 5 months and I'll have to figure out a way to be thankful for winter.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: